It is a well known fact how difficult it is to ride a motorcycle in winter. Some motorcycle riders dread even short rides on his or her motorcycle during the season due to the fact that the cold intensifies on a motorcycle. As a result, keeping a grip on the throttle becomes next to impossible while the snow makes it difficult for the rider to navigate with ease. This makes riding a motorcycle dangerous.
However, by taking a few precautionary steps, you can safeguard yourself from the cold.
Precautionary steps to take
The steps given below can help any motorcycle rider who is planning on making a journey on his or her motorcycle in difficult cold weathers.
1) Layer up: The most obvious precautionary step that every rider should take is to layer up like an onion. Wear a motorcycle suit with other apparel items such as a leather jacket to keep them warm. Many companies specialize in inner wear for cold weather, and every rider should invest in some as they have the potential of keeping the rider warm when it is freezing.
2) Gloves: Keeping the hands warm is crucial as most body heat escapes from the hands. Every rider should wear sturdy gloves that will trap the body heat. Wearing gloves will also protect the hands from freezing up which is extremely dangerous.
3) Visor: Another issue riders face during winters is the fact that due to moisture, the visor often fogs up. This clouds visibility and makes driving extremely dangerous. Riders can invest in helmets that have fog proof visor or wear a mask inside the helmet combined with a windproof balaclava.
4) Drive slow: Cold tires have less traction which makes breaking more difficult as the motorcycle starts sliding. One precautionary step riders can take is to drive slow and give themselves ample space from the vehicle in front of them.
5) Heated gear: For riders who plan on driving in extremely cold temperatures, it is recommended that they invest in heated apparel. There are electrically heated vests, jackets, pants, socks and gloves that are powered by the motorcycle's electrical system to keep the rider warm no matter what the weather is. The only drawback to this equipment is that it is attached to the motorcycle and some riders tend to forget that fact and break apart the wiring as they walk away. The other option is battery powered gear. These items will produce heat comparable to electric gear except battery life is limited to 6 to 8 hrs at max temperature. But really, who wants to ride more than 8 hours on a winter's day? Another drawback to battery powered gear is you must remember to recharge the device before reuse.
6) Other apparel: Riders can also invest in winter protection gear that helps provide protection against the intense cold, these items such as foot warmers, detachable windscreen and hand guards. These items are available at an attractive price and are readily available in the market.
Most importantly, if you find yourself on an icy road, don't freak out. Drive slowly and keep the throttle at a constant speed. Additionally, make sure your motorcycle is prepped and ready for the drive. Finally, invest in the essential apparel mentioned above. This gear will help protect every motorcycle rider from the cold ensuring a comfortable ride.
If you are looking for quality motorcycle clothing and accessories at reasonable prices, visit www.greatbikergear.com.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Wreckage of ship blown apart in WWII found, offering closure
- The Latest: Police: Latest Austin blast not tied to others
- Clandestine videos roil Peru ahead of impeachment vote
- 2 arrested for child neglect in Fayette County
On this week's Train Like An Athlete, Norman Seawright III is in the West Virginia State University training facility with Austin Hensley, the quarterback for West Virginia State Football.Read More »
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.