KANAWHA COUNTY, WV (WOWK) - In a news conference, deputies with the Kanawha County Sheriff's office said they had responded to an "attempted murder/suicide" situation.
Deputies said on Monday, March 5, around 7:30 a.m., someone living along Silas Kanawha Two Mile Road called 911 to report a shooting.
Once on scene, deputies immediately saw that a man had shot himself in the backyard of the home. Investigators said the man was pronounced dead at the scene. He was later identified as Jack Hootman, 75, of the Sissonville area.
Upon further investigation, deputies located a female inside the home who had appeared to be strangled with a phone charging cord. She was later identified as the deceased's wife, Patty Hootman, 75, also of the Sissonville area of Kanawha County.
Patty was still clinging to life when first responders arrived to the scene. She was transported to a local hospital and is was in critical condition at the time of publication of this story.
Stay with 13 News for more on this developing story.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- A tale of 2 bats, and Babe Ruth's 60th home run in 1927
- Mummified body found in Iran could be father of last shah
- Caps roll over Blue Jackets, look to nemesis Pittsburgh
- Motive elusive after van driver kills 10 on Toronto sidewalk