Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin announced Friday that he had approved the removal of a burn ban that had been in place since July 6.
Tomblin said in a press release that it was now safe to burn debris from the June 29 storm that may have collected in yards and communities over the past two weeks.
Recent rainfall had improved the previously dry conditions, which reduces fire danger, said state forester Randy Dye.
Officials warned residents to be careful when burning items. Some tips include putting debris in several small piles instead of one big one, burning in a safe place, and keeping water and tools on hand in case the fire blazes out of control.