WV DHHR Warns Residents About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

WV DHHR warns residents about carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Sistersville Woman Crowned Mrs. West Virginia, Will Compete for National Title

    Sistersville Woman Crowned Mrs. West Virginia, Will Compete for National Title

    Tuesday, July 15 2014 4:17 AM EDT2014-07-15 08:17:38 GMT
    A Sistersville mother, wife, and soon-to-be teacher, holds another very impressive title as she gets ready to take on the competition on a national stage.Mrs. West Virginia, Melissa Smith, will compete for the title of "Mrs.United States," in September. Smith travels throughout the state right now helping to push her platform. "Right now, I'm very focused on improving literacy education. I'm going to be an elementary school teacher and I have been traveling throughout West Virginia reading to...
    A Sistersville mother, wife, and soon-to-be teacher, holds another very impressive title as she gets ready to take on the competition on a national stage.Mrs. West Virginia, Melissa Smith, will compete for the title of "Mrs.United States," in September. Smith travels throughout the state right now helping to push her platform. "Right now, I'm very focused on improving literacy education. I'm going to be an elementary school teacher and I have been traveling throughout West Virginia reading to...
  • Federal judge in Martinsburg, West Virginia, sends 10 to prison for violating probation

    Federal judge in Martinsburg, West Virginia, sends 10 to prison for violating probation

    Sunday, July 6 2014 11:00 AM EDT2014-07-06 15:00:12 GMT
    Nine Martinsburg, West Virginia, residents and another from Keyser were sentenced to federal prison for breaking the law while they were on supervised release or probation.
    Nine Martinsburg, West Virginia, residents and another from Keyser were sentenced to federal prison for breaking the law while they were on supervised release or probation.

The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources is reminding residents that gasoline generators, gas or charcoal grills, or camp stoves, may be harmful or even deadly when used improperly.

"Never use generators and charcoal or gas grills inside your home, in basements, in garages, or other enclosed spaces due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning," said DHHR Office of Environmental Health Services Director Barb Taylor. "CDC says these appliances should not be operated near an open window or window air conditioner which may allow fumes to enter the home."

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas that can cause sudden illness and death if present in sufficient concentration in the ambient air.

Officials said the most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and altered mental status.

If you suspect that you or a family member has carbon monoxide poisoning, get fresh air immediately and call 911, officials said.

More information about CO is available online athttp://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/co_guidance.asp.