Man shows up to local high school with unloaded shotgun - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Man shows up to local high school with unloaded shotgun

Posted: Updated:
Russell Elswick Russell Elswick


Russell E. Elswick was sentence to 2 years supervised probation after he was accused of bringing an unloaded shotgun to a local school. 

The judge in the trial recommended that Elswick seek treatment for a brain injury he suffered during an ATV accident.



Custodial staff at Herbert Hoover High School got quite a scare around 5:30 this morning when they saw a man with a gun outside the building.

A custodian reported that he had confronted Russell E. Elswick, 52, of Clendenin, who said he "had business to take care of."

School employees secured the school and notified the school board of the incident so children would not be transported there until the area was secure. At this time, there is no danger to any students.

Deputies located the suspect vehicle in the area of the field house when they arrived on scene. Sgt. K. L. White reported that a male was seated in the vehicle and did not get out when asked to.

The suspect was removed from the vehicle by officers. The vehicle was still in drive and lurched forward, hitting Deputy R. D. Evans.

The gun was not loaded.

Deputies say Elswick appeared to be either mentally disturbed or under the influence of an unknown substance.

Elswick has been charged with making terroristic threats and possessing a firearm on school property.

Deputies are still unsure why Elswick was there.  Elswick does not have a criminal record, according to records.

Deputy Evans and Corporal A. J. Miller both received medical treatment for the incident. Both officers have been released from the hospital. Cpl. Miller sustained a fracture to a hand during the altercation with Elswick.

Captain B.C. Robbins said it is unlikely Miller will be able to work while his hand heals.

"We always want our guys to go home safe and in one piece every night.  The officers are all released from the hospital.   They're going home.  We do have one injured who's probably going to be off work for some period of time due to his injury."

The principal said all precautionary procedures were followed.

There is no affect to students. School is still going on as normal for the rest of the day.

Elswick is currently in the South Central Regional Jail with bail set at $30,000.