Fire destroys Kanawha County home - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys Kanawha County home

Posted: Updated:

Firefighters battled a blaze on McGhee Road in Kanawha County on Monday afternoon.

Doug McGhee said that his father came home at about 4:30 p.m. to find his house fully engulfed in flames.

The senior McGhee called 911 and then his son got a phone call. "My mother called me crying, so I got on the phone and called metro. I told them to bring lots of water cause the closest fire hydrant is about a mile and a half away," said Doug McGhee.

Once fire crews arrived, they did have to travel more than a mile away to find the closest fire hydrant.

Doug McGhee said that his father believes the fire may have started in the fireplace, but can't be sure. No one was hurt, but the family dog was lost in the fire. Firefighters were able to save a garage.

The McGhees are staying with family until the insurance issues and investigation are complete.