KY Fire Marshal advises caution during cold spell - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

KY Fire Marshal advises caution during cold spell

Posted: Updated:
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) -

A blast of cold air is coming this weekend, and the state fire marshal says people who use supplemental heat at home should take precautions to stay safe.

Fire Marshal William Swope says most home-heating fires involve portable heaters and space heaters. And he says carbon monoxide is another risk factor when using heating and cooking equipment, warming up cars and using generators. Swope says to use a smoke detector and battery-operated carbon monoxide detector near the area to be heated.

Swope says all heating systems can be risky if not used and maintained correctly. He says keep heaters at least 3 feet away from furniture, walls, curtains or anything that can catch fire. And turn off heaters while sleeping. Use extra blankets for warmth instead.

Generators should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.