Nitro, W. Va.- A vehicle erupted into flames yesterday after fireworks in the passenger floorboard caught fire.
Captain Robert Ely with the Nitro Fire Department says the incident occurred at 12:52 p.m on June 27, 2016 on the 1500 block of Main Avenue and Center Street.
Upon arrival, Ely noticed the fire had started to spread to a nearby structure. Ely then radioed for additional resources and the St. Albans Fire Department responded.
It took the departments 3 minutes to extinguish the blaze due to the explosions of the fireworks and the fire had spread to the vehicle’s gas tank. Ely stated that water could not be used on the gas tank fire because it would only spread the fire. As a result, they used an ABC fire extinguisher to fully extinguish the flames.
Captain Ely says that the structure was a car wash. It sustained some damage as a result of the fire. Once the fire departments cooled the structure down and fully extinguished the vehicle fire, they were able to investigate the scene.
The fire melted the front siding of the building according to Ely and the vehicle was a total loss.
Upon speaking with the driver, Captain Ely says that he was driving across the bridge with a large quantity of fireworks in the passenger floorboard of the vehicle.
The driver stated that he noticed smoke coming from the floorboard where the fireworks were and he jumped out of the vehicle.
Ely added that the driver attempted to remove the fireworks from the vehicle but was unsuccessful. He confirms that the fireworks are the cause of the vehicle fire, but it is unknown how they caught fire.
Ely stated that it is unknown if there were any additional passengers.
According to the Nitro Police Department Facebook Page, The Nitro Police Department says the fire started as a result of careless use of fireworks inside the vehicle.
The Nitro Police Department urges everyone to be careful and to use common sense when handling fireworks and they say that no one was injured.