Whitewater rafter dies from amoebic infection after NC trip

Archives
10832040_G_1083204071

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – A Ohio woman who went whitewater rafting in North Carolina has died of an infection after being exposed to an amoeba that is naturally present in warm fresh water.

North Carolina’s Department of Health and Human Services said the U.S. Centers for Disease Control suspects Naegleria fowleri, a one-celled organism that can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis.

The name of the person who died Sunday wasn’t officially released, but The Columbus Dispatch identified her as 18-year-old Lauren Seitz of Westerville, Ohio.

The victim’s only known underwater exposure was thought to be when a raft overturned at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte.

A spokesman for the center did not respond to messages Wednesday.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the FREE WOWK 13 News App

Washington DC Bureau

More Washington DC Bureau

Don't Miss

Trending Stories