Coronavirus Updates

Here are the winners of Kentucky’s final ‘Shot at a Million’ vaccine lottery

Shot at a Million

FRANKFORT, KY (WOWK) – Today, Aug. 27, Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear and First Lady Britainy Beshear announced the final winners of the commonwealth’s “Shot at a Million” vaccine lottery drawing in the State Capitol Rotunda.

Mary Mattingly from Louisville is the third $1 million prize winner. In a video, Mattingly expressed her appreciation and also shared a message for her fellow Kentuckians.

“At the time of the call I was excited, very grateful and a little overwhelmed. I still want to scream and run around, but I feel like I have to get serious,” Mary Mattingly said. “I felt so privileged to represent all of us that stayed home when needed, wore our masks, socially distanced, got tested and most of all, got the vaccine when it became available. I did it for my amazing sons and their fabulous wives, for my four beautiful grandchildren whom I love to the moon and back, for my neighbors and friends, for health care workers and for my husband and me.”

“I want to use this opportunity to encourage each of you to get the shot of hope. The vaccines cannot stop every case, but they can greatly reduce your chances of acquiring a serious, long term or fatal case of COVID-19.”

Mary Mattingly, Kentucky Shot at a Million $1 million prize winner

The final five students receiving full-ride scholarships to a Kentucky public college, university, technical or trade school are:

• Marissa Herron of Mount Washington
  • Lillie Nielsen of Nicholasville
  • Jordan Ballard of Crestwood
  • Grider Burch of Lexington
  • Jaden Wattley of Louisville

You can watch a replay of the announcement in the player above, and it can also be watched on the Governor’s Facebook and YouTube.

Throughout the course of the drawings including today’s, three Kentuckians ages 18 and over have won $1,000,000 and a total of 15 Kentuckians between the ages of 12 and 17 have won full scholarships to a Kentucky public college, university, technical or trade school, which includes tuition, room-and-board and books. Each week, one $1 million winner and five scholarship winners were be selected.

According to the governor, the state has seen a 50% increase in vaccinations since the vaccine lottery was announced and approximately 2.5 million Kentuckians have received at least their first shot of a COVID-19 vaccine.

For local and breaking news, weather alerts, video and more, download the FREE WOWK 13 News App from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the FREE WOWK 13 News App

Washington DC Bureau

More Washington DC Bureau

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories