MADISON COUNTY, KY (WOWK) - Two Kentucky women have been arrested after a child was found wandering around in the road.
According to the CBS Affiliate WYMT, witnesses saw a child running around in the road and called the Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies went into the home and they say they found seven children in a dirty environment.
“Bugs, dirty laundry, the smell of urine. Also, he said upstairs in the residence there was human waste smeared against the wall,” Deputy Michael Stotts told WYMT.
The child’s mother, Krystyn Lawson, and aunt, Shelby Barrett, were arrested and charged with wanton endangerment and endangering the welfare of a minor.
According to WYMT, the citation says there was trash everywhere inside of the home, unflushed toilets, and children sitting eating shredded cheese from a bowl.
Neighbors said they were surprised by the arrest and information of the children inside.
“They did keep to themselves a lot and it wasn't something I expected at all,” said neighbor Autumn Grigsby to WYMT.
Lawson told deputies the kids sleep on the floor in her room.
SCSO: Man Shot Neighbor over Grass
WVSP: Man Overdosed with Kid in Hot Car
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Margaret Thatcher's spouse not happy about McCartney invite
- The Latest: No wind, good scoring early in British Open
- Chinese leader arrives for Africa visit as US interest wanes
- Macau takes in 533 dogs after Asia's only race track shuts