Elderly Roane County, WV couple dies in carbon monoxide poisoning incident

Carbon Monoxide Death_1510235291611.jpg

An elderly, Reedy, West Virginia couple was found deceased on Friday, December 8.  Investigators have determined that carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of death.

A trooper with the Spencer detachment of the West Virginia State Police said John Hassapolis, 85 and Virginia Morgan, 81 died after a heating system was recently repaired in the home. 

That trooper noted that the levels of carbon monoxide in the home were tested, and were found to be at toxic levels. The upstairs of the house had 40 ppm of carbon monoxide, and the basement had 192 ppm. A lethal dose is 30 ppm.

According to West Virginia State Police, the house had to be aired before law enforcement could come inside.

The bodies of the victims were taken to the medical examiner’s office in Charleston for autopsies. 

There were carbon monoxide alarms in the home, responders said, but they did not have batteries. 

Stay with 13 News for more on this developing story. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the FREE WOWK 13 News App

Washington DC Bureau

More Washington DC Bureau

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Local Events