CHARLESTON, WV (WOWK) – Anyone who’s been stuck at home knows how difficult it can be to stay entertained. Besides, there’s only so much cleaning you can do.
So, whether you’re trying to entertain the masses who’s schools have closed … or are simply trying to entertain yourself, WOWK, Channel 13 brings you a list of things you can safely do while self-isolating.
Museums from around the world now offer virtual tours anyone can safely take from the comfort of their couch.
Many world-famous musical artists are now offering free online concerts for their fans. Authors and other celebrities have begun reading books from their social media pages. Follow your favorite star and author to learn more.
Now, if you’re a jazz lover like me, this next one should really excite you!
Jazz at Lincoln Center re-launched a website to allow everyone to get a “wealth of programming, educational materials and more valuable resources during these challenging times.”
Organizers plan to launch new programs including a “Live From Dizzy’s” series featuring jazz musicians including pianists Sullivan Fortner.
Even if you’re not a big art or jazz fan … use these free resources to expand your horizons. You might find something you’ll truly love.
Low tech ways to stay entertained
For those who have gotten their fill of virtual entertainment options … or may not have the fastest internet connection, can find things throughout their home to help keep everyone busy.
- Call your mom. Chances are, she wants to hear from you.
- Finally go through those financial papers you’ve kept for seven years and shred what you don’t need.
- Write your grandchildren (or grandparents) a letter. Letters from my Granny are a highlight of my childhood!
- Update your address book, phone contacts, etc. Whatever you use to organize your life could probably use an update.
- Break out the board games.
- Have a pillow fight with your family. Just don’t hurt each other … or break the lamp.
- Foster a shelter pet. They need homes and you may find your new best friend. Contact your local animal shelter for more info.
- Catch up with your family. I bet someone has something they’re dying to tell you!
- Learn how to play chess, the piano, guitar, whatever … you now have time to practice.
- Host a karaoke contest with your family. Pop popcorn and sing along with the radio. You don’t need a fancy-schmancy karaoke machine.
Now that many parents must embark into the unknown world of home education, they may be looking for ways to enrich their child’s science, technology, engineering and mathematics education. If you find yourself in that boat (or, if you’re just a science nerd like me) NASA has you covered with its “NASA STEM @ Home For Students Grades K-4” projects. They also have “NASA STEM Engagement” activities for older students as well.
Do you enjoy going to the movies with family and friends? Although you can’t get out right now, you can still enjoy many new releases from the comfort of your home.
Because of the closure of many movie theaters, many new movies will soon be released to streaming services including Amazon, Apple, Google, YouTube, DirecTV, Dish, Sony and many more!
You can also host a watch part with all your friends through Netflix Watch Party. You can find more information here.
Whatever your interests, you can find a host of fun – and sometimes productive – activities to keep you and your family busy.
Check back for more ways you can stay entertained while self quarantining.