SOUTH POINT, OH (WOWK) – It’s not a normal week of protecting the roadways and enforcing the law. These Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers are switching gears to protecting hungry children.
At South Point Elementary School children were able to see the softer side of the OHSP. Troopers are aiding the South Point school district this week by distributing bagged lunches to area children.
The children not only receive a free lunch but they also get to interact with their teachers and the troopers, a right they have been missing for several weeks. The coronavirus pandemic has forced students to participate in online education at home.
South Point Schools Superintendent, Mark Christian says that being able to provide these free lunches is a gift for everyone involved.
It’s awesome to see them out and the kids like to see them out. The kids enjoy it and we enjoy it, so it works out well for everybody.Mark Christian
The distribution process allows families to visit the school on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and still receive enough food for the entire week, including weekends.
Students will receive both hot and cold lunches, a total of two days worth of meals. A hot lunch would consist of either a McRib sandwich or a chicken sandwich. A cold lunch would contain either a turkey sandwich or a ham/ham and cheese sandwich. Each meal will include other snack items including chips, raisins, and other small snack items.
Parents can drive up to the school, tell the staff how many lunches they need, and receive two days’ worth of meals.
- Entire Buffalo Police Emergency Response Team resigns in support of suspended officers
- Virtual memorial service held for Annie Glenn
- War Story: World War II Veteran shares his journey through battle caused hate, to find love
- Tracking the Tropics: Tropical Storm Cristobal strengthening as it moves toward Louisiana
- West Virginia sees slight uptick in positive COVID-19 cases, total recovered continues to rise
- Ohio corrections employee tests positive for COVID-19, inmates quarantined
- UPDATE: Four people shot in parking lot of Ironton bar, one in custody
- WARNING: Poisonous plants blooming soon in Central Ohio
- Ohio man shot after confrontation at residence
- VIDEO: Amazon trailers go up in flames in massive fire at commercial building