Honduran nationals found in Beckley to be deported again

Hondurans arrested by ICE_1525365077334.jpg.jpg

11 a.m. June 27, 2018 UPDATE:  Two men who have repeatedly returned to the United States illegally are being sent back to Honduras.  Jeyson Francisco Sanchez-Castillo and Olvin Alexia Ramos-Diaz were sentenced in a Beckley federal courtroom on Tuesday, June 26, 2018.

Both men were sentenced to time served for the charge of reentry of a removed alien.  United States District Judge Irene Berger remanded them for deportation proceedings.  Immigration authorities have placed a detainer on them.  U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of West Virginia, Mike Stuart, praised the work of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents.

“The revolving door must end, ” said Stuart.  “If we want a country, we must have a border. If people want to come here, they should get in line and enter legally.  Otherwise, they can expect to be prosecuted and deported in every case.”

Sanchez-Castillo and Ramo-Diaz have been removed from the United States before.  The last time was in 2017.  They also have misdemeanor convictions in Texas for illegally entering the United States.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Erik Goes handed the prosecutions.


ORIGINAL STORY: A pair of men who have previously been deported from the United States were arrested in Beckley on Feb. 28, 2018.  On Wednesday, May 2, Jeyson Francisco Sanchez-Castillo and Olvin Alexis Ramos-Diaz pleaded guilty to felony charges of Reentry of Removed Alien.

The two men are citizens of Honduras who were living in Beckley.  Agents of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) watched the two them leave their home and head to work at a Beckley restaurant.  During a traffic stop, they suspects admitted they were in the United States illegally. 

Both men were previously deported from the U.S. in 2017.  They also have misdemeanor convictions from Texas for Illegal Entry into the United States.  

“Respect our laws or don’t come to the United States,” said U.S. Attorney Mike Stuart. “Everyone hates line skippers and it’s not fair to those who followed the law.”

Sanchez-Castillo and Ramos-Diaz are facing two years in prison, a $250,000 fine, supervised release of one year and a special assessment of $100.  They are currently being held in the Southern Regional Jail and are expected to be sentenced in front of Judge Irene Berger on Aug. 15, 2018.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Washington DC Bureau

More Washington DC Bureau

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Local Events