CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WOWK) – An apartment building caught on fire around shortly before 6:30 am, August 15, 2019 on the corner of Virginia Street and Bradford Street.
The fire is believed to have begun on the second floor of the building which was vacant.
A man, woman and dog were inside their apartment on the first floor when firefighters busted down the door to evacuate them. 13 News Reporter Haley Kosik spoke to the man who said at first he thought someone was breaking into their apartment. They had no idea the building was on fire.
Smoke alarms were going off on the second floor, but on the first floor were not.
The Charleston Fire Department put out the fire out quickly in under 30 minutes.
Charleston Fire Paramedic Lt. J.D. Haile said, “I mean we’ve done this for a long time, we’re all a team, we all work together, we all have our back and if somebody sees something, somebody says something.”
At this time there is no indication of what started the fire.
Charleston Fire have begun their investigation.
As more information is released 13 News will keep you up to date on air, online and on the 13 News app.