SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – Just when you thought you were going to be $125 richer.
Sorry, you may not be getting that Equifax data breach settlement money after all.
The Federal Trade Commission says so many people are asking for cash payments linked the 2017 data breach that there may not be enough money for everyone.
As part of a $300 million settlement, people impacted by the data breach were offered free credit monitoring or a check for up to $125.
But because of the high response, there simply isn’t enough money to go around.
The FTC is suggesting people choose free credit monitoring rather than a $125 check.
Latest News Headlines:
- President Biden signs executive order, with bipartisan support, to bolster US supply chains
- WATCH: Honoring Black History, a 13 News special
- Ben Franklin Career Center sees several former students returning to teach
- $15 minimum wage: Where the debate and alternatives stand
- WATCH: Gov. Justice holds 2nd town hall on personal income tax repeal proposal