KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WOWK) — UPDATE, January 28, 2020: A man is dead after he was hit by a vehicle on Elk River Road in Clendenin late last night.
Kanawha County deputies tell us a Jeep Renegade struck a pedestrian walking in the 5500 block of Elk River Road North. The pedestrian, Warren “Wyatt” Young, 20, Elkview, West Virginia, was killed in the crash.
The Jeep driver told deputies she drove through a curve then saw a person walking in the roadway and was unable to avoid striking him. There was no sidewalk or shoulder on which to walk, and the person was walking in the lane of traffic with his back to approaching vehicles.
An ambulance had passed through the area approximately five minutes earlier and the crew told Deputies they nearly hit Young, also. The investigation will be open until results from an autopsy are reviewed, however, at this time no charges are expected for the driver in this matter.
Elk river road was closed for several hours after the accident.
ORIGNIAL STORY: Metro 911 has confirmed that 1 person is dead after being struck by a vehicle in Kanawha County. The accident occurred on Elk River Road and Arbuckle Lane. Both lanes of US 119 are shut down. Clendenin Police, Kanawha County Emergency Management, Clendenin Fire, Kanawha County Deputies are on scene. No further information at this time, we will keep you updated as we get more details.
- Charleston Police searching for missing boy
- Greyhound Racing, VA Deaths Investigation, & the Schools for the Deaf and Blind
- Autism advocates push for better access to ABA services for children in West Virginia
- Adult killed in collision with West Virginia school bus
- Veterans honor 75th anniversary of Iwo Jima
- West Virginia educators celebrate milestone at capitol
- West Virginia foster care reform bill moves ahead to State Senate
- USDA finalizes new food stamp work requirements
- Kentucky House votes to cap out-of-pocket insulin costs
- Fans seek John Glenn statue to mark milestones at Statehouse