CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WOWK) – Update, January 28, 2020: A man has died following a vehicle crash last night on I-79 between Big Chimney and Mink Shoals.
The Kanawha Sheriff’s Office says the crash was reported around 6:45 p.m. near the 3 mile-marker of I-79 South.
A sedan traveling south on I-79 struck a flatbed tractor-trailer between Big Chimney and Mink Shoals. The Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office said the driver of the sedan, identified as Charles Keith Asbury, 37, of Charleston, was killed as a result of the crash. Deputies say it appeared he was watching videos on his phone at the time of the crash.
Deputies say both vehicles were in motion and going the same direction, at the time of the crash. The driver of the tractor-trailer was not injured.
ORIGINAL STORY: Both southbound lanes of I79 are shut down at the 3 mm for the vehicle accident. Metro 911 confirms one person is dead. No further information at this time, we will keep you updated as details come in.
- Court: not paying child support can block adoption protest
- South Carolina deputy killed while serving eviction order
- 19-year-old arrested, accused of trying to blow up vehicle at Pentagon
- Police: Kroger thief takes firefighters’ cart, money after they rush to emergency
- Weston pulls together to help take city to next step in town makeover competition
- Oak Hill, West Virginia man arrested for possessing over 200 grams of illegal drugs
- Beckley PD searching for vehicle involved in deadly hit-and-run
- Five teens charged with capital murder in Mississippi
- Puppy develops unique bond with blind and deaf sister
- West Virginia Senate passes bill to make Daylight Saving Time the official time of the state; moves to House for consideration