CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WOWK) – A Charleston man has been sentenced to more than 100 years in prison after he was found guilty of breaking into a woman’s home and beating her with a crowbar. Kanawha County Prosecuting Attorney Charles Miller announced that Russell Ray Slater, 43, of Charleston, W.Va., was sentenced by Kanawha County Circuit Court Judge Joanna Tabit to:
- 100 years for 1st Degree Robbery
- 1-15 years for burglary
- 2-10 years for Assault During the Commission of a Felony
- 10 years for Use or Presentment of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
- 1 year for Possession of a firearm by a Prohibited Person.
All sentences will run consecutively. Slater was found guilty by a jury on April 30th, 2019, of:
- Burglary by Breaking and Entering
- First Degree Robbery
- Assault during the Commission of a Felony
- Use or Presentment of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
- Possession of a Firearm by a Prohibited Person.
According to Charleston Police, on April 29th, 2019, Slater forcefully entered the home and attacked a woman with a crowbar, before stealing a loaded gun and running. The victim is a woman in her sixties and suffered multiple broken bones in her face and a broken arm. The attack happened soon after the woman’s husband left for church.