CHARLESTON, W.V. (WOWK) – The Charleston Police Department has released the name of the victim of the homicide on Charleston’s West Side.
The events began when they received a call that a man was beating on vehicles on Georgia Street, police said. Shortly after, police received calls about a carjacking in the same area and a woman, identified as Barbara Steele, 77, of Charleston, found dead in her home. The attempted carjacking that followed at Tennessee Avenue and Lee Street West was thwarted by the victim, who pulled a gun on the suspect, according to police.
Joshua Andrew Drennen, 27, of Clendenin has been charged with multiple felony offenses stemming from yesterday’s violent crime spree in Charleston, according to a press release from the Charleston Police Department. Drennen has been charged by the CPD with First Degree Murder and Robbery in the 1st Degree and with Attempted Murder and Malicious Wounding for the attack on Charleston Police Officer Terrence “Austin” Casto by the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office.
The suspect allegedly struck Casto in the head with an antique iron near the intersection of Bigley Avenue and Buchanan Street, according to police. Casto reportedly fired shots at the suspect, striking him twice. Casto was transported and treated at the hospital. He is now recovering at home. Drennen is still in an area hospital guarded by officers.
- Cleveland Indians look into changing name amid pressure
- 8-year-old killed in shooting at Riverchase Galleria, 3 others injured
- Video: Starfish at Garden City beach touch arm tips, then one takes shape of banana peel
- Couple gets COVID-19, mother gives birth before dying of virus
- Jimmie Johnson first NASCAR driver to test positive for COVID-19
- Route 60 Ramble aims to make West Virginian’s tourists in their backyards
- West Virginia man charged after allegedly shooting son
- Solar power conversion underway at iconic West Virginia business
- “State-of-the-art” fitness center awarded to Wurtland Middle School
- 13 News Now webcast, Friday, July 3: Live at 9 p.m. EST