BRAXTON COUNTY, WV (WOWK) – A large project is underway in Central West Virginia, which will help boost the local economy and attract tourism.
The project consists of three new trails: Rails to Trails, Rails with Trails and Water Trail, that will connect Braxton, Gilmer, Clay and Kanawha Counties.
This project has been an outdoor concept for several years but became reality last year when construction began. To date, 10 miles have been completed, with 64 miles left to go, however, the Coronavirus has put a halt on the project and the finances are tight.
The project so far has been funded privately, and the Elk River Trail Foundation is hoping to receive funding through the state to continue the project.
The trail is meant for hiking, biking and horseback riding. If you would like to check out the progress, the trail begins off of Route 4 on the Villanova Bridge in Duck, West Virginia.
- St. Albans Police investigating after body found in Kanawha River
- Even during pandemic beekeeping remains an essential service
- One in four teachers at risk of serious illness if infected with COVID-19
- One death, 72 new cases of virus in Mountain State
- Here’s how to keep your pets cool and safe this summer
- ‘Herd That’ bounced from TBT after falling to Overseas Elite 93-76
- 6-year-old inspired by Positive Actions creates refreshment stand for her West Virginia community
- What does the COVID-19 swab test feel like?
- Pathologist found blood clots in ‘almost every organ’ during autopsies on COVID-19 patients
- Coronavirus in Ohio Saturday update: 64,214 cases, 3,036 deaths