UPDATE: Trailer damaged in Boyd County fire, family got out safely

Local News

BOYD COUNTY, KY (WOWK) – Multiple crews are on the scene of an electric heater fire at a trailer in Boyd County.

Boyd County 911 officials tell WOWK 13 News the fire broke out around 9:15 a.m. this morning, Monday, Jan. 10 in the 1300 block of Christine Avenue. Several fire departments responded to the scene.

Crews say they believe the fire started in an electric heater and that the trailer was “pretty damaged.” Officials tell 13 News crews were able to put the fire completely out within 20 minutes, however, the trailer is “probably a total loss.”

“I heard screaming, so my husband and I walked outside, and we seen the eleven year-old that lives in the trailer screaming so we ran down the steps because we seen smoke everywhere,” says Jo Ellen Miller, who lives two houses up from the fire.

Firefighters say there was smoke billowing out of the trailer home. According to Westwood Fire Department Deputy Chief Tim England, a grandmother and her four grandchildren were in the trailer and everyone made it out okay. He also says crews pulled two dogs and two cats out of the fire.

“We had heavy fire on the end of the trailer, the bedroom end. Our crews made entry, we had heavy fire pushing down the hallway. They knocked it down pretty quick,” England says.

Within 20 minutes, England says, the fire was completely out. However, this wasn’t the first time crews had been here.

“We were here Saturday evening about five pm for a fire in the furnace and it was contained to the furnace at that time so I believe she was probably using some type of a electric heater try to heat the residence and that’s what caused this fire,” England says.

Fire crews on scene say they believe part of the reason this family was able to make it out of this fire in time was due to working smoke alarms they had helped install in the home Saturday, after the previous fire.

“Went to Lowes, purchased some additional smoke detectors to hold us over; came back and installed two in this trailer. That’s what woke her up this morning,” England says.

“It’s sad. It’s just so sad cause you just don’t think it can happen to your neighbor,” Miller says. ,

As cold weather rolls in, fire officials urge everyone to make sure their homes are equipped:

“It’s a testament to the smoke detectors. So, if you don’t have them, I urge you to contact the American Red Cross or your local fire department about getting them installed,” England says.

“I’m so thankful she had smoke detectors. This might be a different situation had they not put them in,” says Mary Williams, who lives next door.  

The Westwood, Summit-Ironville, Flatwoods and Russell fire departments all responded.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the FREE WOWK 13 News App

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories