CLENDENIN, W.Va. (WOWK) – A second fire has sparked near Clendenin as another tree fell on powerlines along Spencer Road right off I79. The roadway was shut down as AEP worked to repair the powerlines.
Emergency crews have secured the scene of the original brushfire, which spread for about 30 acres on Elk River Road above Clendenin on Route 4, according to Clendenin firefighters. Crews dug a line around the remaining burning areas, to keep the fire from spreading out any further as it burns out. The Clendenin Fire Department says they along with the West Virginia Division of Forestry will continue to monitor remaining flames to keep the fire from rekindling and spreading.
Firefighters say the first fire also started when a tree knocked over by high winds fell on the powerlines.
- Ohio diocese ordered to release files on 14 accused priests
- West Virginia Governor declares Christmas Eve state holiday for public employees
- Shipping deadlines for Christmas shopping approaching soon
- Kentucky State Police: Golden Alert Cancelled – Man Found Safe
- Rare West Virginia deer harvest sparks major controversy online
- LIVE COVERAGE: Judiciary Committee begins deliberations on articles of impeachment
- Tax cuts and tax increases will be debated in West Virginia Legislative Session
- Ohio no longer considering opioid settlement protection fund
- Brother chases, captures man who allegedly broke in and sexually assaulted his sleeping sister
- Mountain Health Network new naming rights sponsor for Huntington arena