KANAWHA COUNTY, WV (WOWK) — The Kanawha County lunch program has fed thousands of boys and girls since COVID-19 shut down schools. But for the coming summer, the district has to rethink the process of delivering meals.
“In years past, our summer feeding program may have had open sites and students could come every day and pick up a to-go meal just for that day. This year, the only difference is that they’ll come once a week to pick up a boxed meal pack for the five days,” said Brianna Warner, spokesperson for Kanawha County Schools.
Families can go to any of 18 locations in the county on Mondays or Tuesdays. Boxes will include breakfast, lunch, and milk. Anyone can pick up a box for their children and no sign up is required.
“We know a lot of families rely on those meals and we were happy to provide them just as we would as if children were in school,” Warner said. “So this summer, and every summer, that need doesn’t decrease.”
All meal boxes have a shelf life of 10 days and need refrigeration. Those handing out the boxes will be practicing social distancing and wearing masks when families receiving them come to the pick-up site.
The program begins June 8, 2020, through Aug. 3, 2020, with a week separation between the end of the old program and the start of the new one. Other resources in the interim include a P-EBT card, Kanawha County Schools, and social services.
For more information on pick up sites and times, click here.
- Former Nitro Baseball star Levi Kelly on the verge of making big league debut with Diamondbacks
- Here’s the new location for the West Virginia Panhandle Series Tournament
- St. Albans Boys Basketball coaching staff opens up local ice cream shop
- Strong storms possible Sunday, heat returns next week
- St. Albans Police investigating after body found in Kanawha River
- Even during pandemic beekeeping remains an essential service
- One in four teachers at risk of serious illness if infected with COVID-19
- One death, 72 new cases of virus in Mountain State
- Here’s how to keep your pets cool and safe this summer
- ‘Herd That’ bounced from TBT after falling to Overseas Elite 93-76