Kanawha County Officials Prep for Hurricane Florence

Local News

Hurricane Florence is expected to be one of the strongest storms to hit the East Coast in decades and while folks in Kanawha County won’t feel the direct impact, emergency officials are preparing for the severe weather expected as a result of the storm. 

A round-table event was held Wednesday afternoon, at Kanawha County Metro-911. There officials from the national weather service, EMS, Metro-911, the Sheriff’s Office, state police, and local hospitals gathered to put emergency plans into place. 

“This is probably one of the more difficult storms to forecast because there is no flow to guide the storm once it makes landfall,” said meteorologist Jamie Beilinksi. “Just because it is not on shore now, does not mean it won’t be. We need to prepare.”

Officials went through scenarios of what could occur, the proper protocols for emergency response, as well as planning for evacuations in case of flooding. 

“Its important to listen to the experts because they’ll tell us there is an 80% chance and people will say well that means there is a 20% chance that it won’t happen,” Emergency Management Director C.W. Sigman told 13 News. “But if we don’t react and we don’t prepare… shame on us.” 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the FREE WOWK 13 News App

Washington DC Bureau

More Washington DC Bureau

Don't Miss

Trending Stories