UPDATE January 30, 11:30 a.m.: Kentucky State Polices say the investigation into a pursuit near the scene of an unrelated deadly vehicle accident that ended with officers fatally shooting the driver on Tuesday, January 28, 2020, is still ongoing.
Troopers say they have identified the driver of the vehicle being pursued who died at the scene as Jonathan Bentley, 37, of Jonancy, Kentucky.
Detectives are putting together evidence canvassing the area, and conducting more interviews. The KSP says this investigation will be ongoing for several weeks to come, and more information will be released as it becomes available.
Elkhorn City, Ky. (WOWK) – Kentucky State Police are investigating an officer-involved shooting on Kentucky Route 805 between Jenkins and Dorton.
Troopers say that just before 9:30 a.m., Elkhorn City Police notified state police that they were attempting to stop a vehicle and had turned onto Kentucky Route 805. Troopers were on the road the scene of a fatal crash, which had happened earlier in the morning.
The available troopers at the fatal crash scene proceeded toward the direction of the fleeing vehicle, in an attempt to protect the scene of the fatal collision.
While troopers were searching for the vehicle being pursued, they say they saw the vehicle approaching them near the scene of the crash. At this point, the vehicle was traveling in the direction of multiple first responders at the scene. Shots were fired and the driver of the vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene.
Troopers say no other people were in the vehicle being pursued.
The Kentucky State Police Critical Incident Response Team is now at the scene. Details are limited at this time, but more information will be released as it becomes available.
- Community starts GoFundMe page following Capital Boys Basketball Team Robbery
- Harvey Weinstein found guilty in landmark #MeToo moment
- 2 cheetah cubs born at the Columbus Zoo via in vitro fertilization and embryo transfers
- Officials propose 16 changes to hunting, fishing regulations
- Injured hiker crawls for 8 hours before rescue
- Katherine Johnson, one of NASA Langley’s ‘Hidden Figures,’ dies at 101
- Trump’s India visit prioritizes pageantry over policy
- Two elk illegally killed in Kentucky; authorities offer reward
- Henrico toddler walks again after being shot in the head during drive-by shooting: ‘It’s a miracle’
- Several crews respond to structure fire in Kanawha County