JACKSON COUNTY, Ohio (WOWK) – Police are asking the public to be on the lookout for a new text-based scam.
According to the Ohio Valley Bank, the text warns that your bank card may be suspended, and asks you to call a number which asks you to input your 16-digit debit or credit card number.
The Ohio Valley Bank says the texts seem to be targeting area phone numbers and may mention several different banks.
Ohio Valley Bank reminds its customers that it does not send messages of this nature, so if you receive one, it is fraudulent.
They advise that if you should receive such a message, please be careful not to click any links the text may contain, as this could possibly install malware on your device. You should delete the text immediately.
Latest Stories from WOWK 13 News
- Student athletes work to juggle school and sports
- Braxton County EMS Director charged with possession of controlled substance
- Easing anxiety: One nurse’s approach to making hospital visits less frightening
- Boy jumps from speeding truck to avoid after-school kidnapping: officers say
- WATCH LIVE: West Virginia’s new Catholic bishop set to be installed