THE PLAINS, Ohio (WOWK) — 1,010.7 miles separate Baton Rouge, Louisiana and The Plains, Ohio, but you wouldn’t realize it.
LSU flags are scattered in yards throughout the town. Local eateries and shops have signs that read “Geaux Jeaux Geaux” all rooting for the hometown football star, Joe Burrow.
Burrow moved to Athens County, Ohio when his dad, former University of Nebraska and NFL player Jimmy Burrow, took at a job at the nearby Ohio University.
The younger Burrow went to Athens High School. There, he led the school to three straight playoff appearances. During his career, he passed for more than 11,000 yards. As a senior, he was Ohio’s Gatorade Player of the Year.
He played at Ohio State. Then he made his way to Baton Rouge and Louisiana State University.
“He is the kind of kid everyone wants to root for,” said one of his former coaches, John Rogers. “Just the nicest kid.”
“We definitely have a lot more LSU fans in Athens County now.”
LSU plays Alabama on Saturday, November 9th. You can catch the game on Channel 13 Saturday at 3 PM.
- WARNING: Poisonous plants blooming soon in Central Ohio
- Ohio man shot after confrontation at residence
- VIDEO: Amazon trailers go up in flames in massive fire at commercial building
- Inmate cuts off part of his finger, mails it to newspaper to protest jail conditions
- Three undocumented immigrants plead guilty to federal charges
- Overall, a very nice weekend but hot weather looms!
- Two dogs die in hot car after AC fails while owner attends dog training lecture
- Backpack Buddy Community Packing Day still on for Putnam County
- Third Kentucky healthcare worker dies of COVID-19
- Yard sale in Portsmouth gives back to community