THE PLAINS, Ohio (WOWK) — 1,010.7 miles separate Baton Rouge, Louisiana and The Plains, Ohio, but you wouldn’t realize it.
LSU flags are scattered in yards throughout the town. Local eateries and shops have signs that read “Geaux Jeaux Geaux” all rooting for the hometown football star, Joe Burrow.
Burrow moved to Athens County, Ohio when his dad, former University of Nebraska and NFL player Jimmy Burrow, took at a job at the nearby Ohio University.
The younger Burrow went to Athens High School. There, he led the school to three straight playoff appearances. During his career, he passed for more than 11,000 yards. As a senior, he was Ohio’s Gatorade Player of the Year.
He played at Ohio State. Then he made his way to Baton Rouge and Louisiana State University.
“He is the kind of kid everyone wants to root for,” said one of his former coaches, John Rogers. “Just the nicest kid.”
“We definitely have a lot more LSU fans in Athens County now.”
LSU plays Alabama on Saturday, November 9th. You can catch the game on Channel 13 Saturday at 3 PM.
- Teens using greenhouse to grow more than just food
- Ohio House OKs bill expanding religious freedom in schools
- BridgeValley CTC plans to relocate Kanawha Valley campus to downtown Charleston
- FCC Chairman in West Virginia to look at broadband and cell problems
- West Virginia library cancels drag queen event after violent threats
- Teens plead not guilty in death of woman at Ohio state park
- First responders practice water rescue skills
- Officials ID one of the victims killed at California school
- Ohio couple allegedly beat, starved 47-pound 11-year-old girl
- Rare buck with three antlers photographed