CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WOWK) – Hundreds of kids packed into the Charleston Coliseum and Convention Center for the fourth annual “Powerama.”
The event is hosted by the Charleston Police Department. Students from Kanawha, Putnam, and Clay County schools watched K-9 demonstrations and listened to guest speakers.
Sergent Doug Paxton of the Charleston Police Department said, “We want them to learn to not be a bully, stay away from drugs, follow your dreams – that’s our biggest thing we push, but we also want them to feel comfortable around police officers, firemen, military and just come and have some fun.”
The event featured several guest speakers, including local singer Autumn Gillespie, who went viral after she sang a cover of “Shallow” with her dad.
- WV pools face implications in reopening
- Bicyclist accused of assaulting teens over protest flyers along Maryland trail
- 13 things to do this weekend (June 5 – June 7, 2020)
- YouTube celebrity Jake Paul faces charges after mall riot
- Play it safe: Mardi Gras Casino to reopen with new protocols
- Mother arrested after missing boy’s body found in dumpster
- Local canine celebrity helping to raise money for new kennels at Roane County shelter
- Gov. Justice removes Hess from State Fire Commission over controversial social media posts
- Lawmaker: US has had worst response to pandemic worldwide
- Young political group lends a helping hand; Portsmouth hedge sign transformed