CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WOWK) – Hundreds of kids packed into the Charleston Coliseum and Convention Center for the fourth annual “Powerama.”
The event is hosted by the Charleston Police Department. Students from Kanawha, Putnam, and Clay County schools watched K-9 demonstrations and listened to guest speakers.
Sergent Doug Paxton of the Charleston Police Department said, “We want them to learn to not be a bully, stay away from drugs, follow your dreams – that’s our biggest thing we push, but we also want them to feel comfortable around police officers, firemen, military and just come and have some fun.”
The event featured several guest speakers, including local singer Autumn Gillespie, who went viral after she sang a cover of “Shallow” with her dad.
- Charleston Announces Inaugural Youth Council
- WATCH: Live on the Red Carpet from the 2019 CMA Awards
- West Virginia county opts out of federal opioid negotiation class
- Meet Narwhal, the puppy found with a tail growing out of his head
- LEGO convention set to come to Charleston in 2020
- West Virginia Governor asked to end sales of flavored vaping products
- Record cold temperatures hit area Wednesday morning
- Man dies from injuries after 50-car pileup in Ohio
- Firefighter dies day before Disney trip while saving baby from burning home
- West Virginia Deputies looking for suspects that stole an ATM