UPDATE: Shooting suspect provides police with wrong name upon arrest

Local News

UPDATE, JUNE 7, 3:45 P.M.: According to Ironton Police Chief Pam Wagner, police received an anonymous call that the suspect in yesterday’s shooting had given officers the wrong name after being arrested. Wagner said the suspect is actually Tayvon M. Gaulds, 26, of Huntington.

Additional charges are pending as well as an active warrant from the U.S. Marshals.  

Further info will be provided as it becomes available.

UPDATE, JUNE 6, 6:10 P.M.: Ironton Police Department have arrested a man and charged him with three counts of felonious assault and tampering with evidence with further charges pending at this time.

Police say Dewayne S. Ford Jr., 22, of South Point, Justin Hayes, 35, Davon J. Leonard, 22, of South Point and Trevon Frazer, 32, of Ironton were injured during the shooting. At this time, police say evidence does not show their injuries to be life-threatening.

Police ask anyone with any information to contact the Ironton Police Department at 740-532-5606.

The investigation is ongoing.

UPDATE, JUNE 6, 11:36 A.M.: Det. Sgt. Jamie Pruitt confirmed a fourth person was shot during this morning’s shooting. Police have a suspect in custody.

IRONTON, OH (WOWK) — Three people are in the hospital after an overnight shooting at “The Bar on Third.” First responders were called out to the bar for shots fired around 1 a.m., Saturday, June 6.

According to police, the shooting happened in the parking lot, where there was a large group of people.

“It erupted into a fight, and gunshots were fired,” said Det. Sgt. Jamie Pruitt with the Ironton Police Department.

Pruitt says they are in the early stages of the investigation.

The parking lot was taped off with crime scene tape, small splatters of blood could be seen near a vehicle in the lot.

“Three victims were struck by gunshots and we possibly have the shooter in custody,” Pruitt added. At this time, officials believe only one shooter was involved. The three victims were transported to a nearby hospital with non-life threatening injuries, according to police.

Det. Sgt. Pruitt wants to assure residents that police believe this is an isolated incident and have no reason to believe there is any danger to the public. Officers expect to be on the scene through the early morning hours of Saturday. Ironton Police were also able to look at some security footage from the bar while on scene.

“We have seen some video evidence, (but) we still have quite a bit to watch,” said Pruitt.

Responding to the shooting were the Ironton Police Department, the Ironton Fire Department, the Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office, Coal Grove Police Department, South Point Police Department, Chesapeake Police Department, and Lawrence County EMS.

Right now, officers are asking anyone with information to come forward and contact the Ironton Police Department at 740-532-5606.  “We’re still trying to speak to witnesses,” Pruitt said. “[We don’t] have a whole bunch of people cooperating with the investigation.”

Follow Shannon Litton on Facebook and Twitter for the latest local and breaking news.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the FREE WOWK 13 News App

Washington DC Bureau

More Washington DC Bureau

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories