UPDATE: State Trooper L.F. Lee with the Welch department confirmed with 59 News it was a firefighter who died trying to save a person inside of a house fire in Iaeger.
The West Virginia State Fire Marshal is investigating the incident.
Bradshaw, Welch, and Iaeger fire departments responded. It is not clear which department the victim was with.
IAEGER, WV (WVNS)– One person was killed in a house fire in McDowell County.
McDowell County Dispatchers told 59News a fire broke out on West Virginia Avenue in Iaeger on Sunday, June 21, and claimed the life of a person on scene.
We are working to confirm more details.
Several local fire departments responded and Iaeger Police Department were also on scene.
- Here’s the new location for the West Virginia Panhandle Series Tournament
- St. Albans Boys Basketball coaching staff opens up local ice cream shop
- Strong storms possible Sunday, heat returns next week
- St. Albans Police investigating after body found in Kanawha River
- Even during pandemic beekeeping remains an essential service
- One in four teachers at risk of serious illness if infected with COVID-19
- One death, 72 new cases of virus in Mountain State
- Here’s how to keep your pets cool and safe this summer
- ‘Herd That’ bounced from TBT after falling to Overseas Elite 93-76
- 6-year-old inspired by Positive Actions creates refreshment stand for her West Virginia community