NEW DELHI, India (KRON) – A man has died in India after a fight with his rooster as the two were on their way to a cockfight.
50-year-old Saripalli Chanavenkateshwaram Rao was hit in the neck with a blade tied to the rooster’s claw on Jan. 15, CNN reports.
Officials said the man was a regular at local cockfights and was on his way to enter the rooster in a competition when it tried to get away and break free.
A police spokesperson told CNN the father of three was taken to the hospital where he later died from a stroke.
Rao lived in a village in southern India’s Andhra Pradesh state.
Cockfighting has been illegal in India since 1960 but continues to cause problems around the country.
- Winter coats go a long way for local daycare
- ‘Skull Breaker Challenge ’ leaves Arkansas teen with concussion
- WVU Press celebrates ‘Mountaineers are Always Free’ book launch
- Lights-out shooting from Longhorn guards downs Mountaineers in Austin
- Winter isn’t done yet as rain changes to snow this week