COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Police in Columbus say one person died Thursday evening after being shot while SWAT officers were trying to arrest a suspect.
Police identified the suspect as 17-year-old Joseph Jewell.
It happened around 5 p.m. at the Magnuson Grand Columbus North Hotel at 888 E. Dublin Granville Rd.
According to Columbus police, SWAT officers knocked on a hotel room door and announced themselves. Jewell then opened the door and immediately started shooting at officers, police said. Officers returned fire.
Authorities say Jewell was transported to Riverside Methodist Hospital with life-threatening injuries. He was later pronounced dead.
Jewell was named a suspect in the shooting death of 17-year-old Erique D. Forney Jr. Wednesday night in the area of Mallards Marsh and Avalon Avenue.
Columbus police say the shooting happened as SWAT officers were trying to arrest a Jewell.
No officers were harmed.
- COVID-19 “stay at home” violators could receive fines in the future
- “Team Charleston”: Inform and Inspire
- Coronavirus cases in West Virginia Friday, total jumps to 96
- First coronavirus case shows up in Lawrence County, KY
- 13 things to do this weekend! (March 27th – March 29th)
- Kanawha County courtrooms go virtual during pandemic
- Epilepsy Foundation West Virginia plans Virtual Walk
- COVID-19 creates unique challenges for people with Alzheimer’s
- Hotels and out-of-state travelers during COVID-19
- 302 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Kentucky; two more deaths reported