3 students sickened by candy brought to Ohio elementary school

Ohio
ambulanceweb_245556-873702559

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Three students got sick after eating candy that was brought to a Dayton school.

According to Montgomery County dispatchers, three sixth-grade students fell ill after eating candy that was brought to Belle Haven Elementary School on Free Pike Wednesday.

The student reported “feeling woozy” and the School Resource Officer called 911. The SRO said a student brought candy to school that “one of them brought some kind of candy that may have been laced with something.”

Listen to the 911 call here. This call has been edited to remove identifying information:

Dayton Public Schools released a statement Wednesday saying the candies were melatonin gummies.

“A student at Belle Haven Elementary School brought ZzzQuil™ Melatonin (over the counter) gummies to school and shared with two friends. Two of the children felt sick so paramedics were called. Parents were notified and were at the school with their children. Paramedics were also notified and responded. They determined that the children did not need to be transported to a hospital based upon learning that the “gummie” was Melatonin. This is an isolated event in the building and no other students were involved. The student who brought the Melatonin to school will receive discipline according to the Student Code of Conduct.”

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Washington D.C. Bureau

More Washington DC Bureau

Don't Miss

WOWK 13 News Facebook Page

Local Events