SAGINAW TOWNSHIP, Mich. (CBS) – A little girl with a big heart is using her special day to give back. 9-year-old Sophia Burns didn’t ask for anything for her birthday, just toys for kids in need.
“I donated all of my toys from my birthday party to Toys for Tots,” Sophia said.
Sophia celebrated her birthday last month, and she asked all of her friends to bring unwrapped toys so that she could donate them to Toys for Tots.
Today at Saginaw Township Fire Station 3, she did just that in hopes of helping other kids have a merry Christmas with toys they’ll love.
Sophia’s mother, Shanna Burns said, “What hit me really hard was the next morning when she says to me – when she looks at the whole box and says, ‘Wow there’s going to be a lot of kids this Christmas that’s going to be very happy.'”
Everyone who donated, including Sophia, received a ride on the fire truck, but Sophia says, she’s more than happy to donate because she believes it’s better to give than to receive.
“We’re just a giving family and not a receiving,” Sophia says.
- Kanawha County man charged with shooting husband of his niece in the leg
- WVU grad spreads positivity through launching own clothing line
- ‘West Virginia Can’t Wait’ movement makes its stand in the State Capitol
- Huntington group lends a helping hand to animals in Australia
- Hundreds pay respects to fallen Roane County volunteer firefighter
- Wayne County family is bringing historic cemeteries back to life for loved ones
- Shop owner aims to sell affordable and stylish clothing
- Healthy Grandfamilies Program spreads to 55 counties; needs funding for new year
- Attorney posts video alleging Putnam County deputies violated a person’s 4th Amendment rights
- The State of the State address and Legislative plans for 2020