CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WOWK) – You’ve read the news, you’ve seen what’s trending, but do you know how to say everything properly?
A group of people who write captioning for television broadcasts helped come up with the most mispronounced words of 2019.
The site of the worst nuclear accident wasn’t in “chur-no-bull.” Chernobyl is actually pronounced “chair-no-bull.” And the proper way to address teen activist and “Time” Magazine’s Person of the Year Greta Thunberg, is “gray-tah toon-bairk.”
The often purple-haired soccer champ, Megan Rapinoe, who won the world title for the US is “meh-gan ruh-pee-noh.” “No-tuhr dame” may be okay for the Fighting Irish, but the French church, Notre Dame, that partially burned down is pronounced “no-truh dahm.”
With the polling surge he’s seen, you better learn to say his name.
Mayor Pete’s last name, Buttigieg, is pronounced “boot-ij-ij.” We won’t even mention all the ways some of you got that one wrong, but then… Barack Obama was also tough at first!
- Kids can get it too: COVID-19 cases high among children
- Commissioners encourage residents to become foster parents, growing need after opioid epidemic
- Kanawha County honors Hoppy Shores with dedication of courtroom
- Flash flood warning for parts of southeast Kentucky Thursday night
- 13 News Now webcast, Thursday, Aug. 6: Live at 9 p.m. EST
- Police investigating Charleston homicide, suspects on the run
- Army Captain honored for two decades of serving his country
- Destination West Virginia: Palace of Gold
- COVID-19 outbreak at Ironton healthcare facility
- Former NY mayor dies, 2 others hospitalized in food processor explosion