CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WOWK) – You’ve read the news, you’ve seen what’s trending, but do you know how to say everything properly?
A group of people who write captioning for television broadcasts helped come up with the most mispronounced words of 2019.
The site of the worst nuclear accident wasn’t in “chur-no-bull.” Chernobyl is actually pronounced “chair-no-bull.” And the proper way to address teen activist and “Time” Magazine’s Person of the Year Greta Thunberg, is “gray-tah toon-bairk.”
The often purple-haired soccer champ, Megan Rapinoe, who won the world title for the US is “meh-gan ruh-pee-noh.” “No-tuhr dame” may be okay for the Fighting Irish, but the French church, Notre Dame, that partially burned down is pronounced “no-truh dahm.”
With the polling surge he’s seen, you better learn to say his name.
Mayor Pete’s last name, Buttigieg, is pronounced “boot-ij-ij.” We won’t even mention all the ways some of you got that one wrong, but then… Barack Obama was also tough at first!
- Kanawha County man charged with shooting husband of his niece in the leg
- WVU grad spreads positivity through launching own clothing line
- ‘West Virginia Can’t Wait’ movement makes its stand in the State Capitol
- Huntington group lends a helping hand to animals in Australia
- Hundreds pay respects to fallen Roane County volunteer firefighter
- Wayne County family is bringing historic cemeteries back to life for loved ones
- Shop owner aims to sell affordable and stylish clothing
- Healthy Grandfamilies Program spreads to 55 counties; needs funding for new year
- Attorney posts video alleging Putnam County deputies violated a person’s 4th Amendment rights
- The State of the State address and Legislative plans for 2020