KANNAPOLIS, N.C. (WGHP) – A father was arrested and charged after he rushed and tackled a high school wrestler during a match, according to a Kannapolis Police Department news release.
Barry Lee Jones, of Harrisburg, was arrested on Saturday. He was charged with simple assault and disorderly conduct.
The teen he tackled was from Southeast Guilford High School and was wrestling Jones’ son, who is a student from Hickory Ridge High School, the release says.
Jones was processed at the Cabarrus County Jail and received a $1,000 secured bond.
The SGHS student was reportedly not injured.
The expert on the mat at the time of the incident gave the hand signals to call the SGHS student athlete’s move as illegal, according to the North Carolina High School Athletic Association.
The Southeast Guilford High School wrestling coach and principal declined to comment.
WGHOP has reached out to Guilford County Schools for comment but has yet to hear back.
- Shake Shoppe hosts fundraiser for WV Habitat for Humanity
- Multiple fire departments battle Kanawha County fire
- Senators push to make New River Gorge a national park and preserve
- President Trump authorizes additional disaster assistance for historic 2016 flood
- Basketball team wins fight to play in tournament
- Marshall University to play East Carolina in memory of 75 who died in plane crash
- WV House wants criminal investigation of hospital closures
- PTSD Bill passes WV House of Delegates
- “Friends” is getting a reunion
- Fire at Kentucky prison forces inmates to be relocated