FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) – Authorities in Texas say a black woman was fatally shot by a white officer inside her Fort Worth home after police were called to the residence for a welfare check.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports the shooting happened early Saturday after a neighbor called police to say the front door to the home was open. In body camera video released by police, two officers search the house from the outside with flashlights before one shouts, “Put your hands up, show me your hands.” One shot is fired through a window.
The woman was pronounced dead at the scene. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office identified her as 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson.
The officer does not identify himself as police in the video. In a statement, police say he has been placed on administrative leave.
- New resort makes Wayne County a vacation destination
- Semi overturns near Buffalo Bridge in Putnam County
- Students attend the Charleston PD’s annual “Powerama”
- Governor Justice unveils Jobs & Hope WV program
- Trump tweets support for Kentucky governor in election
- New study: Opioid crisis cost US economy $631B over 4 years
- Disturbing new details in Clarksburg VA Hospital deaths
- Cabell County corn maze may close after this year
- Charleston begins abandoned home demolition
- WVU fraternity charter revoked because of alcohol-related violations