PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Elephants at the Oregon Zoo had a very happy Friday as they participated in the annual tradition of Squishing the Squash.
The elephants squished, stomped and munched on some of the Portland area’s largest pumpkins. One of the pumpkins was 800 pounds, and the other was 600 pounds.
They were provided by Pacific Giant Vegetable Growers Club members Larry and Christy Nelson of Albany.
The Zoo said activities such as smashing pumpkins help keep the animals mentally and physically stimulated.
- Charleston Announces Inaugural Youth Council
- WATCH: Live on the Red Carpet from the 2019 CMA Awards
- West Virginia county opts out of federal opioid negotiation class
- Meet Narwhal, the puppy found with a tail growing out of his head
- LEGO convention set to come to Charleston in 2020
- West Virginia Governor asked to end sales of flavored vaping products
- Record cold temperatures hit area Wednesday morning
- Man dies from injuries after 50-car pileup in Ohio
- Firefighter dies day before Disney trip while saving baby from burning home
- West Virginia Deputies looking for suspects that stole an ATM