PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Elephants at the Oregon Zoo had a very happy Friday as they participated in the annual tradition of Squishing the Squash.
The elephants squished, stomped and munched on some of the Portland area’s largest pumpkins. One of the pumpkins was 800 pounds, and the other was 600 pounds.
They were provided by Pacific Giant Vegetable Growers Club members Larry and Christy Nelson of Albany.
The Zoo said activities such as smashing pumpkins help keep the animals mentally and physically stimulated.
- WV pools face implications in reopening
- Bicyclist accused of assaulting teens over protest flyers along Maryland trail
- 13 things to do this weekend (June 5 – June 7, 2020)
- YouTube celebrity Jake Paul faces charges after mall riot
- Play it safe: Mardi Gras Casino to reopen with new protocols
- Mother arrested after missing boy’s body found in dumpster
- Local canine celebrity helping to raise money for new kennels at Roane County shelter
- Gov. Justice removes Hess from State Fire Commission over controversial social media posts
- Lawmaker: US has had worst response to pandemic worldwide
- Young political group lends a helping hand; Portsmouth hedge sign transformed