HERRIMAN CITY, UT (CNN) – A Utah police dog killed in action is being buried in a custom coffin.
Hondo was a 7-year-old Belgian Malinois who served with Herriman City’s police department. He helped with more than 100 felony arrests, but on Feb. 13, he suffered a fatal gunshot wound while helping apprehend a suspect in Salt Lake City.
To honor him, the department asked Rawtin Garage to paint the casket. It features an image of Hondo and symbols of his service. HPD Chief Troy Carr says Hondo died, so his handler could live.
A public service for Hondo will take place Feb. 29.
- ‘The Maker’s Center’ innovates as it creates PPE for front-line heroes
- Severe Storms Possible Late Tuesday-Early Wednesday
- Australian court dismisses cardinal’s sex abuse convictions
- Researchers turn CPAP machines into ventilators
- Actor Matthew McConaughey plays virtual bingo with seniors in isolation
- Michigan deputies make deliveries to citizens who are unable to get needed items themselves
- ICYMI: April 6 tristate COVID-19 update
- ‘Let’s hurry up!’: W.Va. Senator calling governor to put unemployment claims first
- CDC tips about cloth face coverings
- Kitties take over the Georgia Aquarium