CLARKSBURG, W.Va. (WBOY) – An 85-year-old Doddridge County native, who lived in Barbour County later in his life, has become the latest person named as a potential victim in the ongoing investigation of suspicious deaths at the Louis A. Johnson VA Medical Center in Clarksburg.
Retired Army Veteran Archie D. Edgell died in March of 2018, four days after he was admitted to the Clarksburg VA hospital.
“We have a copy of the autopsy report, and it appears very clear that he [Edgell] was given unprescribed insulin while at the hospital that caused his death,” said Dino Colombo, the attorney representing Edgell’s family. “We have evaluated his medical records. At no time during his hospitalization should he have any insulin given to him.”
Colombo said that records indicate Edgell was given multiple injections of unauthorized insulin.
“There are multiple, extraordinarily-low blood sugars that occurred during his hospitalization that there are no explanations for,” Colombo said.
Colombo also said medical records show that Edgell came in with a slightly high blood sugar level of 165 and orders for insulin to be withheld. However, his blood sugar levels suddenly dropped for no apparent reason. Edgell died four days after being admitted to the hospital.
“These are just wonderful people who served their country, and it’s just a tragedy what happened to them,” Columbo said, referring to the veterans who died under suspicious circumstances at the VA hospital. The deaths of two veterans have been ruled as homicides, while multiple other deaths are under investigation.
Colombo said an Office of Inspector General investigator went to the Edgell family’s home in November 2018 to ask permission from the family to exhume Edgell’s body.
“Right from the beginning, Steve Edgell knew that something was wrong. He said something along the lines [of], ‘You know they killed my father, didn’t they?’ and the OIG investigator said, ‘We’re concerned about that.’”
It is unknown at this time if Edgell’s death will be ruled as a homicide.
- Clarksburg VA doctor indicted on federal sex charges
- Sentencing for woman who admitted to killing veterans at Clarksburg VA Medical Center set for February
- Congress launches energy export caucus; WV lawmakers is co-chair
- Suspicious VA deaths could reach 21; more lawsuits and settlements filed
- Attorneys: settlements reached in 6 deaths at the Clarksburg VA Hospital
- Another lawsuit filed in death of WWII veteran at Clarksburg VAMC
- VA Inspector General issues report on Clarksburg VA pharmacy
- Federal government responds to two lawsuits related Clarksburg VA
- Fifth lawsuit filed in deaths at Clarksburg VA hospital
- Fifth lawsuit filed in deaths at West Virginia VA hospital
- Former VA hospital employee pleads guilty in Clarksburg medical center deaths
- Second wrongful death civil lawsuit filed in case of the suspicious death of veterans
- WV Senators Capito, Manchin announce funding for state hospital program
- Death toll rises in Clarksburg VA Hospital investigation; new details on ‘person of interest’
- “Person of Interest” identified in VA Clarksburg suspicious deaths
- Federal Grand Jury Seated in VA Clarksburg Deaths
- Grand jury reportedly looking into Clarksburg VA deaths
- Details of another VA autopsy show a suspicious pattern
- WV Congressional delegation weighs in on VA Clarksburg deaths
- The U.S. Senate passes VA Accountability Act
- Bipartisan bill introduced to improve transparency at Clarksburg VA
- Last VA death probe raises new concerns about criminal charges
- Sixth victim identified in Clarksburg VA death investigation
- Victim’s family speaks out on Clarksburg VA Hospital homicides
- Senator Manchin renews calls for hearings on Clarksburg VA deaths
- Clarksburg VA suspicious death toll rises to 10
- “Person of interest” in VA deaths not a nurse’s aide as claimed
- Congress frustrated over VA death investigation in Clarksburg
- Congress opens investigation into VA deaths in Clarksburg
- 3rd death ruled homicide in Clarksburg VA investigation
- Disturbing new details in Clarksburg VA Hospital deaths
- Congress wants more answers on VA Hospital deaths in Clarksburg
- Federal authorities have person of interest in suspicious deaths at Clarksburg VA Medical Center
- Congressional probe of VA deaths in Clarksburg will wait
- Profiling VA Victims: Felix “Kirk” McDermott
- Veteran identified as 5th suspicious death at Clarksburg VA Medical Center
- U.S. Attorney not giving in to pressure from Senator on VA investigation
- 4th veteran named as potential victim in Clarksburg VA investigation
- Attorney for Clarksburg VA Medical Center victims talks investigation
- New information on VA deaths at Clarksburg Medical Center
- Third family comes forward in VA Hospital death investigation
- More victims hiring attorney in VA hospital death cases
- West Virginia State Lawmakers want answers on VA deaths
- Sen. Manchin tours Clarksburg VA hospital after homicide allegations
- U.S. Attorney issues statement on investigation into deaths at the Clarksburg VA
- Second U.S. Veteran homicide confirmed at Clarksburg VA
- Lawyer: FBI involved in probe of deaths at VA hospital
- Sen. Manchin talks investigation into homicide at VA hospital
- Senator Manchin demands answers after death at Clarksburg VA Center
- Filing against VA Medical Center in Clarksburg claims patient was the victim of homicide