CHARLESTON, W. Va. (WOWK) — It was a mixture of anger and shock as Congress officially launched its investigation of problems with the Veterans Administration nationwide. West Virginia topping the list after several suspicious deaths of veterans at the VA Medical Center in Clarksburg and the investigation into charges of sexual assault on patients at the VA in Beckley.
“The deaths of Lewis a Johnson VA medical center in Clarksburg, West Virginia and the sexual assault allegations in Beckley West Virginia, VA medical center are not only troubling but they are unacceptable,” said Rep. Carol Miller, (R-West Virginia).
Several veterans died in Clarksburg after being injected with insulin they did not need. Three of those cases are now considered homicides. But victims’ families were not notified by the VA.
“So what actions if any has the VA taken to inform veterans or their next of kin who may have suffered unexplained hypoglycemic events or even deaths at the Clarksburg VAMC?” said Committee Chairman Rep. Mark Takano (D-California).
Dr. Steven Lieberman, of the Veterans Health Administration, said, “So we have not reached out to anyone as this is an active investigation.”
Members of Congress are also concerned about reports that Insulin and other medicines were left out on the open at the VA in Clarksburg, instead of being locked up.
“It’s just unconscionable some of the rumors of the practices. We need to see the full report before we can say exactly what’s gone on. We need to do the investigations,” said Sen. Shelley Moore Capitol, (R-West Virginia)
While a person of interest is being looked at in the three Clarksburg homicides, no arrests have been made.
This was the first Congressional hearing into the VA deaths in Clarksburg but it won’t be the last. Members of Congress are being careful not to interfere with the criminal investigation, but they want to find out about any failed medical practices or procedures in the VA system.
- Congress launches energy export caucus; WV lawmakers is co-chair
- Suspicious VA deaths could reach 21; more lawsuits and settlements filed
- Attorneys: settlements reached in 6 deaths at the Clarksburg VA Hospital
- Another lawsuit filed in death of WWII veteran at Clarksburg VAMC
- VA Inspector General issues report on Clarksburg VA pharmacy
- Federal government responds to two lawsuits related Clarksburg VA
- Fifth lawsuit filed in deaths at Clarksburg VA hospital
- Fifth lawsuit filed in deaths at West Virginia VA hospital
- Former VA hospital employee pleads guilty in Clarksburg medical center deaths
- Second wrongful death civil lawsuit filed in case of the suspicious death of veterans
- WV Senators Capito, Manchin announce funding for state hospital program
- Death toll rises in Clarksburg VA Hospital investigation; new details on ‘person of interest’
- “Person of Interest” identified in VA Clarksburg suspicious deaths
- Federal Grand Jury Seated in VA Clarksburg Deaths
- Grand jury reportedly looking into Clarksburg VA deaths
- Details of another VA autopsy show a suspicious pattern
- WV Congressional delegation weighs in on VA Clarksburg deaths
- The U.S. Senate passes VA Accountability Act
- Bipartisan bill introduced to improve transparency at Clarksburg VA
- Last VA death probe raises new concerns about criminal charges
- Sixth victim identified in Clarksburg VA death investigation
- Victim’s family speaks out on Clarksburg VA Hospital homicides
- Senator Manchin renews calls for hearings on Clarksburg VA deaths
- Clarksburg VA suspicious death toll rises to 10
- “Person of interest” in VA deaths not a nurse’s aide as claimed
- Congress frustrated over VA death investigation in Clarksburg
- Congress opens investigation into VA deaths in Clarksburg
- 3rd death ruled homicide in Clarksburg VA investigation
- Disturbing new details in Clarksburg VA Hospital deaths
- Congress wants more answers on VA Hospital deaths in Clarksburg
- Federal authorities have person of interest in suspicious deaths at Clarksburg VA Medical Center
- Congressional probe of VA deaths in Clarksburg will wait
- Profiling VA Victims: Felix “Kirk” McDermott
- Veteran identified as 5th suspicious death at Clarksburg VA Medical Center
- U.S. Attorney not giving in to pressure from Senator on VA investigation
- 4th veteran named as potential victim in Clarksburg VA investigation
- Attorney for Clarksburg VA Medical Center victims talks investigation
- New information on VA deaths at Clarksburg Medical Center
- Third family comes forward in VA Hospital death investigation
- More victims hiring attorney in VA hospital death cases
- West Virginia State Lawmakers want answers on VA deaths
- Sen. Manchin tours Clarksburg VA hospital after homicide allegations
- U.S. Attorney issues statement on investigation into deaths at the Clarksburg VA
- Second U.S. Veteran homicide confirmed at Clarksburg VA
- Lawyer: FBI involved in probe of deaths at VA hospital
- Sen. Manchin talks investigation into homicide at VA hospital
- Senator Manchin demands answers after death at Clarksburg VA Center
- Filing against VA Medical Center in Clarksburg claims patient was the victim of homicide