CLARKSBURG, W. Va. (WOWK) — There are more questions about who was minding the store at the VA Medical Center in Clarksburg, where it least seven veterans died from unnecessary insulin injections. Attorney Tony O’Dell, who represents several families, says he’s learned that insulin in the facility was not properly locked up, a potential VA violation.
“Any person would have been able to take it off an unlocked cart and use it however they wanted,” said Tony O’Dell, an attorney for seven VA families.
A former hospital employee who remains a “person of interest” in the case, is suspected of misusing the insulin. But we are told that the floor has no surveillance cameras that recorded her activity.
“Certainly not any surveillance video where the insulin was stored,” said attorney Tony O’Dell.
Three of the deaths occurred on three successive days in April 2018, and the attorney says the VA may have violated West Virginia law, by not immediately calling for autopsies.
“We have these suddenly medically unexplained hypoglycemic events that did not get reported the way they should have been reported by the VA which means autopsies were not done,” said attorney O’Dell.
Two of the deaths are classified as homicides. So far no arrests have been made.
On Wednesday in the nation’s capital, the House Veterans Affairs Committee will be discussing medical problems at VA hospitals across America, and WOWK 13 News Chief Political Reporter Mark Curtis was told don’t be surprised if the Clarksburg case is discussed.
- Settlements reached for seven families in Clarksburg VA deaths
- Are there 20 suspicious deaths at the VA Hospital in Clarksburg? Many questions remain
- Administrative changes coming to VA Medical Center in Clarksburg
- Clarksburg VA doctor indicted on federal sex charges
- Sentencing for woman who admitted to killing veterans at Clarksburg VA Medical Center set for February
- Congress launches energy export caucus; WV lawmakers is co-chair
- Suspicious VA deaths could reach 21; more lawsuits and settlements filed
- Attorneys: settlements reached in 6 deaths at the Clarksburg VA Hospital
- Another lawsuit filed in death of WWII veteran at Clarksburg VAMC
- VA Inspector General issues report on Clarksburg VA pharmacy
- Federal government responds to two lawsuits related Clarksburg VA
- Fifth lawsuit filed in deaths at Clarksburg VA hospital
- Fifth lawsuit filed in deaths at West Virginia VA hospital
- Former VA hospital employee pleads guilty in Clarksburg medical center deaths
- Second wrongful death civil lawsuit filed in case of the suspicious death of veterans
- WV Senators Capito, Manchin announce funding for state hospital program
- Death toll rises in Clarksburg VA Hospital investigation; new details on ‘person of interest’
- “Person of Interest” identified in VA Clarksburg suspicious deaths
- Federal Grand Jury Seated in VA Clarksburg Deaths
- Grand jury reportedly looking into Clarksburg VA deaths
- Details of another VA autopsy show a suspicious pattern
- WV Congressional delegation weighs in on VA Clarksburg deaths
- The U.S. Senate passes VA Accountability Act
- Bipartisan bill introduced to improve transparency at Clarksburg VA
- Last VA death probe raises new concerns about criminal charges
- Sixth victim identified in Clarksburg VA death investigation
- Victim’s family speaks out on Clarksburg VA Hospital homicides
- Senator Manchin renews calls for hearings on Clarksburg VA deaths
- Clarksburg VA suspicious death toll rises to 10
- “Person of interest” in VA deaths not a nurse’s aide as claimed
- Congress frustrated over VA death investigation in Clarksburg
- Congress opens investigation into VA deaths in Clarksburg
- 3rd death ruled homicide in Clarksburg VA investigation
- Disturbing new details in Clarksburg VA Hospital deaths
- Congress wants more answers on VA Hospital deaths in Clarksburg
- Federal authorities have person of interest in suspicious deaths at Clarksburg VA Medical Center
- Congressional probe of VA deaths in Clarksburg will wait
- Profiling VA Victims: Felix “Kirk” McDermott
- Veteran identified as 5th suspicious death at Clarksburg VA Medical Center
- U.S. Attorney not giving in to pressure from Senator on VA investigation
- 4th veteran named as potential victim in Clarksburg VA investigation
- Attorney for Clarksburg VA Medical Center victims talks investigation
- New information on VA deaths at Clarksburg Medical Center
- Third family comes forward in VA Hospital death investigation
- More victims hiring attorney in VA hospital death cases
- West Virginia State Lawmakers want answers on VA deaths
- Sen. Manchin tours Clarksburg VA hospital after homicide allegations
- U.S. Attorney issues statement on investigation into deaths at the Clarksburg VA
- Second U.S. Veteran homicide confirmed at Clarksburg VA
- Lawyer: FBI involved in probe of deaths at VA hospital
- Sen. Manchin talks investigation into homicide at VA hospital
- Senator Manchin demands answers after death at Clarksburg VA Center
- Filing against VA Medical Center in Clarksburg claims patient was the victim of homicide