CHARLESTON, WV (WOWK) – A 13-year-old boy was the victim of a Thursday house fire in Albright, according to the West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s office.
The Albright Volunteer Fire Department was told a teen was still in the home when responded to the fire around 6 a.m. After starting rescue and fire suppression efforts, the youth’s body was found in a second-floor bedroom near a window, according to the State Fire Marshal’s office.
Other family members at home at the time the fire started were able to escape, though they reported that flames blocked them from any ground-floor exits. The fire marshal’s office says they returned to the second floor and were able to escape through the windows.
While escaping from the home, one family member received burns to her arms and another suffered burns as well as a broken back. Both were transported to the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh. Two additional family members escaped without any serious injuries.
Investigators with the West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office responded to the scene, and ruled the cause of the fire as accidental. They say the fire started in a first-floor room and determined an overloaded electrical cord to be the cause of the fire. Multiple devices were plugged into this single cord, which was supplying electricity for the entire house.
The State Fire Marshal says the house did not have any smoke alarms.