CHARLESTON, WV (WOWK) — A man is recovering Sunday after a fire broke out in his apartment after he threw firecrackers at rats, according to Charleston Fire Department Captain Justin Alford.

Cpt. Alford said the fire started at around 8:30 p.m. Saturday night in the 5600 block of Noyes Avenue SE in Charleston.

“They (fire crews) had fire on the second floor. [They] had a victim that they found in the upstairs bedroom,” Cpt. Alford said. “They pulled him out and transported him to the hospital. At this time, he’s doing good.”

The man was taken to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation, according to Cpt. Alford.

He is in stable condition, but it is not known if he is out of the hospital, Alford said.

Alford said it’s important for people to be cautious when using fireworks, firecrackers and similar objects to avoid accidentally starting a fire.

“Just use fireworks in their recommended manner. Don’t use them inside houses, and make sure that smoke alarms are working,” Alford said.