CABIN CREEK, WV (WOWK) – A man has been charged after a woman was allegedly beaten and attacked by dogs during an altercation in Kanawha County.

“I thought I was literally going to lose my life. I am lucky to be here” said the woman who was attacked. “The doctor told me if it was literally a half of centimeter over, it would’ve gotten an artery, and I would’ve bled out.” 

The woman and her mother spoke to 13 News saying they’re relieved she’s still alive, but even more grateful for their late neighbor who caught the attack on camera. They said he passed away shortly after the incident.

However, deputies said that video is what led to the arrest of Zachary Atkinson, the owner of the two Pit Bull dogs. According to the KCSO, “the graphic video shows the victim helpless as she is mauled by the two dogs and beaten by Mr. Atkinson.”

“The man that passed away, he kept saying, ‘I’m sorry I can’t do anything to help her,’ and he couldn’t he’s really sick, but that video did and little did he know, he did a lot more than he could’ve imagined,” the mother said.

It was one final act of kindness that the family says they’ll never forget.

According to the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office, deputies were called to Hide-a-way Court Trailer Park in Cabin Creek around 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 2. Deputies say when they arrived on scene, Kanawha County medics were treating a 24-year-old woman for multiple dog bites as well as bruises and other injuries allegedly from a physical altercation.

The KCSO says the victim told deputies she had been in a disagreement with the suspect, identified as Zachary Atkinson, 20, of Cabin Creek. According to deputies, the victim said the suspect followed her with his two Pit Bull dogs to Hide-a-way Court.

According to the sheriff’s office the victim stated the victim and the suspect got into a physical altercation in which she fell on the ground. Deputies say she claimed the suspect allegedly began “encouraging and allowing” his dogs to attack her, and allegedly continued assaulting her as the dogs attacked.

The victim was taken to the hospital for further medical treatment, according to the KCSO, and the family said she was later released.

Even though she had no broken bones or stitches, there’s still visible bruising and bite marks healing days later, and she said the wounds run much deeper.

“It hurts the most because I’ve known this boy all my life,” she said.

The sheriff’s office says Atkinson was arrested on a felony county of malicious assault and is being held at the South Central Regional Jail on a $5,000 or 10% cash bond.

There is still no word on what happened with the two dogs. The sheriff’s office confirmed a humane officer was called, but WOWK 13 News has not yet heard back from the Humane Society.