CHARLESTON, WV (WOWK) – William Clayton Burch has been sworn in as the next West Virginia State Superintendent of Schools effective today, February 21, 2020, at an emergency State Board of Education meeting this afternoon.
The WV Superintendent of Schools is a Constitutional position without an interim position. Burch will serve as the named Superintendent while a national search is ongoing and may choose to apply as a candidate for the position, according to Carla Warren, Ed.D., NBCT, Special Assistant to the State Superintendent of Schools.
Earlier this month, the out-going state superintendent, Dr. Steven L. Paine, announced that he will retire from his position effective June 30, 2020, or before if the State Board finds a suitable replacement prior to the retirement date.
According to the West Virginia Department of Education, Paine made the decision in order to care for a family member and to spend more time with his children and grandchild.
“It has been an honor and my privilege to serve this state, the Governor, and the students of West Virginia. Unfortunately, a member of my family is facing a health crisis and I want to be fully present for my family. I have grown children, one grandchild who I adore, and hopes for more grandchildren in the future. It is time for me to dedicate myself to spending time with my family,” Paine said when he announced his retirement.
- Trump, coronavirus task force set 5 p.m. briefing
- Confirmed COVID-19 cases in Kanawha County now at 28
- COVID-19 makes it harder for campaigns to ask for money
- Equifax breach: Check for exposed data, get $125
- Country music legend Joe Diffie dies from COVID-19 complications
- Best Virginia alumni squad one of first five teams accepted to TBT
- ‘Please toilet paper my house’: Cute yard signs lifting spirits in Texas
- WATCH LIVE: Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear provides daily COVID-19 update at 5 p.m.
- UPDATE: State Police searching for persons of interest in Monroe County
- Kanawha-Charleston Health Department: Please self-isolate after travel