CLARKSBURG, WV (WOWK) – In honor of November being ‘National Diabetes Awareness Month’, the personal-finance website WalletHub has released a report on the ‘2018 Fattest States in America’, as well as interesting facts and statistics about diabetes.
Through this report, WalletHub was able to find some statistics about the overweight and obese population in the state of West Virginia that many West Virginians may find concerning.
According to WalletHub, in order to determine which states contribute the most to the United States’ overweight and obesity problem, the site compared the 50 states (and Washington DC) across 25 key metrics. These metrics range from the share of overweight and obese population, to sugary-beverage consumption among adolescents, to obesity-related health care cost, among many others.
According to the study, West Virginia is ranked as the second ‘Fattest State In America in 2018’, only behind Mississippi at number one.
In a separate report that looked only at obesity, West Virginia ranked as the 6th most obese state in the United States, among both adults and children.
Below are some results from where West Virginia ranked in key individual metrics from WalletHub’s report:
- 7th in percentage of obese adults
- 23rd in percentage of overweight children
- 3rd in percentage of obese children
- 11th in percentage of physically inactive adults
- 7th in percentage of adults with high cholesterol
- 4th in percentage of adults eating less than 1 serving of fruits/vegetables per day
- 1st in percentage of adults with Type 2 Diabetes
- 2nd in percentage of adults with hypertension
- 7th in obesity-related death rate