DELBARTON, W.Va. (WOWK) – UPDATE January 22, 2020: A Mingo County man is now facing second-degree murder charges according to the Mingo County Sheriff’s Department following a fatal shooting on Tuesday on Hell Creek Road, between Belo and Delbarton.
Mingo County Sheriff James Smith said Donald Marcum of Belo, West Virginia, is facing charges in the shooting death of James “Bubby” Gannon of Goodman Hollow in Williamson. Marcum was expected to be arraigned in Mingo County Magistrate Court on Wednesday.
Smith said that Marcum caught Gannon on his property located near Belo in the process of stealing several items. Marcum then allegedly chased Gannon, who police say was driving a stolen vehicle down WV State Rt. 65.
Sheriff Smith said that after a short pursuit, Gannon and Marcum pulled off onto private property where neither of them lived. Smith says that Marcum already had his gun drawn, and when Gannon drew his gun, Marcum shot and killed him.
Police say Marcum called the shooting into Mingo County 911 Emergency Dispatchers immediately after it had occurred.
Along with the Mingo County Sheriff’s Department, the West Virginia State Police Crime Scene Unit also responded to the shooting to assist with the investigation.
“We appreciate those guys with the WVSP Crime Scene Unit coming down, they do a wonderful job controlling the scene and are a tremendous help in the investigation process,” Sheriff Smith told the Williamson Daily News.
ORIGINAL STORY: Law enforcement is investigating a reported fatal shooting at the mouth of Hell Creek Road, near the town of Delbarton in Mingo County.
As the Williamson Daily News reports, first responders on scene said that the shooting occurred just before 3 p.m., but no other details have been released at this time as it is still under investigation. Both the Mingo County Sheriff’s Department and West Virginia State Police are on scene.
- Shake Shoppe hosts fundraiser for WV Habitat for Humanity
- Multiple fire departments battle Kanawha County fire
- Senators push to make New River Gorge a national park and preserve
- President Trump authorizes additional disaster assistance for historic 2016 flood
- Basketball team wins fight to play in tournament
- Marshall University to play East Carolina in memory of 75 who died in plane crash
- WV House wants criminal investigation of hospital closures
- PTSD Bill passes WV House of Delegates
- “Friends” is getting a reunion
- Fire at Kentucky prison forces inmates to be relocated